Health Allowance for Expats
The healthcare allowance is a contribution for the costs of your Dutch healthcare insurance (ziektekostenverzekering). You might be able to get healthcare allowance.
Whether or not you are entitled to the healthcare allowance depends on your income, your assets (wealth), your age, residency and of course that you have a Dutch health care insurance. Expat Service can request this for you at the Belastingdienst. This can provide you with hundreds of euros in tax benefits.
Conditions Dutch health care allowance
At Expat Service we check if you meet the conditions to get your health care allowance refunded. In order to receive Dutch health care allowance, you and your partner (if applicable), must meet the following conditions:
- You are 18 years or older
- You have Dutch health insurance (ziektekostenverzekering)
- Your taxable income is below the (joint) income limit: your personal taxable income may not exceed € 30,481 in 2020 (in 2019: € 29,562) / in case of a fiscal partner the joint taxable income may not exceed € 38,945 in 2020 (in 2019: € 37,885).
- You have the Dutch nationality or are Dutch tax resident in the Netherlands
- Your (joint) assets/wealth do not exceed € 116,613 (the amount on 1 January 2019 was € 114,776) / in case of a fiscal partner the joint assets may not exceed €147,459 (amount before 1 January 2019: €145,136).
Deadline for applying Health Care Allowance
The deadline applying for your healthcare allowance until 1 September of the following year. For example, you can still apply for care allowance for 2020 until 1 September 2021. However, if you wait longer, you will also be paid later.
Only in case of extension for filing your Dutch tax return, you have more time to apply for the healthcare allowance. In that case you can still apply for the healthcare allowance until the date you received extension. Please note that in case you have a partner with (longer) extension, that the request can be done until the (longest) extension date of you or you partner.
Help with request health care allowance
At Expat Service we make sure that your health care allowance return is arranged quickly. We charge a fixed low price for our work. After we have digitally submitted your health care allowance refund, you can benefit from hundreds of euros. Do not miss out on tax benefits as an expat in the Netherlands, have your interests represented by an Expat Service advisor. We will make your stay in the Netherlands even more financially attractive.