for entrepreneurs and corporates

Online bookkeeping for Freelancers in the Netherlands

Freelancing in the Netherlands, in Dutch known as ZZP’ers, are self-employed expats or Dutch entrepreneurs who are not committed to an employer by an employment contract. They are faced with many legal and tax issues that are complex. Expat Service have developed a subscription especially for the self-employed, whereby you are completely relieved of your administration and tax returns for a fixed monthly amount.

Get to know us for free and ask your question without any obligation. We will inform you whether we can be of service to you and how we can arrange this. We will make sure that you can concentrate on your business without having to worry about all kinds of tax obligations. Your administration is in the right hands with us. Expat Service, an intelligent choice for individuals and companies.

When you register your business with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel), you will also be registered with the Dutch tax office (Belastingdienst), which automatically issues your company with a VAT number (BTW). All supplies of services and products are subject to VAT, which you have to pay. You are obliged to keep records. As a self-employed person, you are also required to file a tax return, for example for VAT (turnover tax), wage tax, corporation tax and dividend tax.

Expat Service helps expatriates with their own company and international companies (abroad) with setting up a business in the Netherlands and keeping the administration. In addition, our tax consultant takes care of all necessary tax returns so that our clients benefit from all Dutch tax advantages. We do this for a fixed monthly subscription or on an hourly basis. Feel free to ask us for a quotation!

In the Netherlands, you may be subject to various tax obligations as an entrepreneur, a sole proprietorship (eenmanszaak) has other obligations than a general partnership (vennootschap onder firma), whereas a private limited company (besloten vennootschap) has other administrative obligations as well. We will gladly inform you about the choice of the right legal form/company and welcome you as a satisfied customer of our administration office.

VAT services in the Netherlands

We will help you submit your VAT returns. This should be done monthly or quarterly. You owe VAT on the supply of products or services and you can offset the VAT on your purchases against it. The services we provide.


  • VAT for foreign entrepreneurs
  • VAT relating to services
  • VAT on digital services 
  • Submit your tax return, calculation of the VAT on purchase and sale of goods

Filing the payroll taxes

Frequently asked questions about payroll taxes that we help companies with.


  • When must you withhold payroll taxes
  • What are payroll taxes
  • Filing the payroll taxes

Dividend tax

Do you have shares or profit-sharing certificates? If so, you have to pay dividend tax on their proceeds. The party who pays those proceeds (dividends) to you, must withhold the dividend tax and pay this to the Tax and Customs Administration.


  • Filing dividend tax refund
  • Refund of or exemption from Dutch dividend tax
  • Intercompany dividend
  • Portfolio dividend (investment dividend)

Having your administration up to date is important for small freelancers, as you are required to not just keep up with your invoices and bills, but you must also record the number of hours worked. This only applies to entrepreneurs who run their business in a sole proprietorship (eenmanszaak) or a general partnership (vennootschap onder firma). Keeping track of your hours is important because it might make you eligible for tax breaks.

Some tax advantages for small self-employed persons

From a minimum of 1.225 hours a year, you are eligible for the ‘zelfstandigenaftrek’. We will help you with any administrative related matter. We have multiple years of experience in supporting freelancers with their administration and tax related matters.


  • Do you meet the conditions for the self-employed tax deduction? Then you may deduct a maximum of € 7,280 from your profit in your income tax return 2019. For 2020, this is € 7,030. You do not pay tax on the amount of the self-employed person deduction.

The starter’s allowance (startersaftrek) is an increase in the self-employed person’s allowance. Do you meet the conditions? Then you may deduct an additional € 2,123 in your income tax returns for 2019 and 2020. There is also a ‘Starter deduction in the event of incapacity for work’.

The small business profit exemption (MKB- winstvrijstelling) reduces your profits. As a result, you pay less tax. If your company incurs a loss, the SME profit exemption reduces your tax loss. In that case, the SME profit exemption is detrimental to you. For the tax years 2019 and 2020, the SME profit exemption is 14% of your profit after deduction of the entrepreneur’s deduction.

Would you like to take advantage of a tax benefit?

Please contact us. We will inform you without obligation about your personal possibilities. Advice is made-to-measure, which is why we take the time to get to know you and your business. We will then explain how we can be of service to you, as administration office and tax specialists. You will receive an offer and can let us know if you would like to make use of our services. Without any obligation, that is a promise. What are you waiting for?